One Moonlit Night
Digital version – browse, print or download
Receive the latest news & reviews direct to your inbox!
On the cover of this issue we feature a selection of illustrations from the Walker Books List. Can you identify the artists? (Answers below). We are grateful for the help from Walker Books in using this material.
1. Helen Oxenbury (First Picture Books).
2. Shirley Hughes (Nursery Collection).
3. John Burningham (First Words).
4. Patrick Benson (William Mayne's Hob Stories).
5. Kenneth Lilly (Large as Life).
6. Nicola Bayley (Copycats).
7. Philippe Dupasquier (Little Robert).
8. E. J. Taylor (Biscuits, Buttons and Pickles).
9. Jan Ormerod (Baby Books).
10. Colin McNaughton (Allan Ahlberg's Red Nose Readers).
11. Helen Craig (Susie and Alfred).
12. Peter Cross (David Lloyd's Dinosaur Days).
Titles are of the series, not individual books.
Another jolly story of suburban family life, this time featuring two boys camping out overnight in the garden. It starts well with some nicely observed touches: an over-enthusiastic dad, a teasing sister, mixed feelings about the enterprise from the boys. But the second half, an extended 'joke' (based on the old string-on-the-big-toe-alarm stories) seems over-contrived and lacking a base in reality. Some good pictures of night time, though.