The Surprise Present ¦ A Bag of Tricks
Digital version – browse, print or download
Receive the latest news & reviews direct to your inbox!
On the cover of this issue we feature a selection of illustrations from the Walker Books List. Can you identify the artists? (Answers below). We are grateful for the help from Walker Books in using this material.
1. Helen Oxenbury (First Picture Books).
2. Shirley Hughes (Nursery Collection).
3. John Burningham (First Words).
4. Patrick Benson (William Mayne's Hob Stories).
5. Kenneth Lilly (Large as Life).
6. Nicola Bayley (Copycats).
7. Philippe Dupasquier (Little Robert).
8. E. J. Taylor (Biscuits, Buttons and Pickles).
9. Jan Ormerod (Baby Books).
10. Colin McNaughton (Allan Ahlberg's Red Nose Readers).
11. Helen Craig (Susie and Alfred).
12. Peter Cross (David Lloyd's Dinosaur Days).
Titles are of the series, not individual books.
Two from the same Oxford series with, presumably, the same purpose. Both Nick Ward's books are wordless and seem to be offering story sequences of a rather surreal and even grotesque nature which might be considered inappropriate for the very youngest pre-readers. I find the pictures unattractive but their rather over-the-top style may have appeal for older slower readers who need a basis for story-making.